AMRAP or Rounds?
What’s an AMRAP? What’s a round?
Use mattdever.com/workout when you travel, lack equipment, or want random exercises.
- Create a random workout you can do anywhere with no equipment.
- Except maybe a pull-up bar or a tree or use your imagination.
- If you get pull-ups or inverted rows and can’t find a “bar-like object” or can’t perform the exercise yet, sub:
- If you don’t like the volume of lower body reps, lift heavy, lift often, do more. Big quads/big glutes = big health. In the meantime divide by two.
- If you don’t know an exercise, use the google, the gifs below, or substitute what you know.
Below is the logic for my common substitutions. These are not coded yet. Disclaimer – use with caution.
if ‘feisty’, sub:
- Jump Squats for Squats (divide reps by 5)
- Jump Lunges for Lunges (divide reps by 5)
- Plyo Push-Ups for Push-Ups (divide reps by 2)
- if (‘poolAccess’ OR ‘scenicRoute OR ‘rower’ OR ‘bike’)
- Then swim, run, row, bike
- else burpee until ‘moreCardioDesired’ == FALSE
- randomly sprint 50 yards when walking
- repeat until destination OR ‘aboutToSweat’
if ‘bored’ AND ‘crazy’
Hiking, sports, ocean, beach yoga, surfing, rock climbing, paddleboarding opportunities ALWAYS trump workouts
Travel is an easy reason to stop working out. I don’t like returning from a trip feeling worse physically or mentally. This random workout generator contains the exercises I most frequently use when traveling, (especially on a plane to reduce jet lag. These workouts can also be done at home, at work, or in any random location. When you’re struggling to find time to squeeze a workout in, come back to mattdever.com/workout or download your favorite app. I like to keep things simple. Less time learning apps and exercises = more time getting after it.